Another Boat Capsizes at Umkomaas

Taken From The NSRI Website

SEA RESCUE UMKOMAAS Monday, 09th July, 2012. Boat capsizes, all 3 accounted for and safe:
Lorenzo Taverna-Turisan, NSRI Durban duty controller, said:

"At 07h00 NSRI Durban volunteer sea rescue duty crew were activated following initial reports that a Dive Charter boat with 10 persons onboard had capsized at Umkomaas River Mouth.

"Our NSRI Durban volunteer sea rescue duty crew, Police Search and Rescue, local Police, Netcare 911 ambulance service, KZN Provincial Government Health Emergency Medical and Rescue Services (EMRS), eThekweni Fire and Rescue Services and ER24 ambulance service responded.

"NSRI rescue swimmers, driving to their private workplaces in morning traffic at the time, diverted to respond directly to the scene and an off-duty NSRI volunteer was also instructed to tow his private boat directly to the scene to assist.

"On arrival on-scene it was found that a private 12.5 meter catamaran with 3 people onboard had capsized (and not a dive charter boat with 10 people onboard as was originally reported). All 3 people had swum ashore and were accounted for and although 2 suffered injuries they were all safe.

"They are a Grandfather, John Short, 69, his Son, John Short, 39 and his Son, John Short, 9. They are from Middelburg, Mpumalanga, and on holiday in the area.

"The 9 year old is suspected to have suffered a fractured left leg, and the Grandfather suffered numerous fish hooks embedded in his leg, both injuries are believed to have been sustained when their boat, SCHWEET, capsized.

"Local diver charter boat, Aliwal Dive Charters and local fishermen also went to help following the capsizing and the capsized boat was recovered by them and has been taken out of the water and towed to the care of the Umkomaas launch site safety officer for inspection by Police and SAMSA (the South African Maritime Safety Authority) are informed of the accident.

"It is believed that the boat was capsized by waves while launching to go to sea and the incident happened close to shore in the shore break.

"The father was not injured and the 2 injured patients were treated on-scene by paramedics and transported to hospital by ambulance in stable conditions."